Friday, May 25, 2012

40 Under 40 - St. Louis Business Journal:

aaekipolo.blogspot.com
Comparing the honorees’ accomplishments to the game of football, keynots speaker Jaime Rootes, president of the Houstomn Texans, spoke about playingy to win vs. playing to lose. Usingv sources ranging from business booksto , Rootes explained that the best businese people — and football teams use their strength of character, as well as their talent, to becoms champions. From letters of recommendation: “Yoh are either competitive or you aren’t, in golf or a ‘friendly’ game of cards. Play a rounrd of golf with Brian and no matter how casua and friendly he may bebetweej shots, he wants to beat you to the point you give up.
Then shakew your hand, tell you he enjoyed the match and ask you to playagain tomorrow. Honestly, I haven’t reallt seen Brian lose at golf that but I can tell you he is agracioue winner. And people remember and appreciate that. “Growing up, his favoriter movies dealt with business Wall Street, Glengarry Glen Ross, Citizeb Kane, etc. To this day when friends ask him to go to a casualo lunch during the week heresponds ‘Lunchg is for Wimps.’ And please don’t get me startes on ‘Always Be Closing.
’” On his biggesyt regret: “I’ve only recently become aware of how emotionally and mentally, charitable work can be to my Being part of the Berinb Omega Community Services boarf of trustees (an instrumental local HIV/AIDS charity) for the past two yeares and recently becoming involved with Diverseworks (a local visual/performing/written arts has become an important part of my life. How many of us reall y give something back? How can you not give back to the communities and city that are so integralo to yourown success? It’s so easy to overlook and put off and I’ ashamed that it’s taken me this long to really start makiny it a priority in my life.
Everyonw should be involved, even if you volunteer just one houra month. It makes you feel good and it can give you new insight and purpose if you let When not atthe office, I... “Would love to say sailinyg around the world in my private whitewater rafting and climbingglaciers (actually used to do these two), and flyingf in my own G-5 jet. However, my most pure joy is playinyg with my two baby girls and hanging out with my There is nothing like the sheer contentmeng of enveloping oneself in the world of playing with our two babiew with no thought to the stresses and massive burdensx of running asmall company.
As Jerryu Maguire used to say, ‘They are my I do also love to hunt, fish, travell and am a thrill seeker, but there’xs been little time to do this in the past numbe rof years. If your firm is ever in need of invitingf companies toany hunting/fishing trips, feel free to invite my businesx partner and me!” Biggest achievement: “I grew up in where some of my classmates couldn’tt afford shoes. I am lucky because I had two parents who cared about me and taughty me the importanceof education. I am lucky becausew in fifth grade I went on a retreatg as part of a program forgiftedx students.
Going there changed my life because it openedc my eyes to the opportunities available in the I was hooked on the idea of I am lucky because I had a chance to go to West attend other fine schools and earn the kindsz of degrees that have opened the doorw tomany opportunities. I am luckyy to work in a professionI love, with peoplwe I respect, doing things I never dream t I could do. Most of all, I am luckuy because whatever success that has come my way hasenabled me, in to try to give back to my communituy and profession, and help others just like I was helpede in my life. This is my achievement.
” Biggesy achievement: “My biggest achievement is enjoying 10 years of marriagew withmy wife, Natasha, and the fact that we have two healthhy and happy kids: Our daughter, who is 7 years old, and our son, who is 5 years old.” Biggest regret: “M y biggest regret is that I have not had enougjh time to do more international When not at the office, I... “Spenc time with family, work out at the gym and Future goals: “Grow YES Prep to 10,000 studentw and create an education revolutionin Houston. Raisd two healthy and successful Happiest memory: “Taking my family to Disney World.
” Biggest achievement: “Marrying Michele, the love of my and having three beautiful girls. Making partne r in record time wasn’t bad either.” Biggest “I try not to look back, but to lear from it.” When not at the office, I... “Enjog the outdoors with my family and work with a numbeer ofcommunity organizations.” Future goals: “Raisinyg three successful daughters, advocating for lung cancer research and meetin my newest niece (next Happiest memories: “My wedding and the birthsw of our Amelia, Amber and Ava.
” Futurd goals: “Continue to be a leader in the Statse of Texas, as I grow my business and help make a differencw in the lives of minority- and women-ownee businesses through the Texas Businesse Alliance. As founder and CEO, I will continus to lead TBA as we launch severa l chaptersin Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso over the next severa months.” Happiest memory: “Bringing my mom on a memorablse family road trip, two monthsd before she unexpectedly fell into a coma and eventuallyt passed away. We had so much fun pilinhg up in a Dodge Caravan and driving all the way to Las Vegaeand California. We went on the ‘Pricee is Right’ and Disneyland, etc.
It was the best trip of my Biggest achievement: “At this point in my life, getting electe d to the legislature at the age of 24 and bringing my visionm for Heritage Bank to fruition in 10 months have been mygreates accomplishments.”

No comments:

Post a Comment